Monday, May 7, 2012

Mouthwatering Homemade Biscuits

My family loves biscuits.  I usually make a batch at least twice a week and they are gone just as soon as I make them.  Below is a quick and easy recipe you can use that I am sure your family will love.

Ingredients:
2 cups of Hudson Cream Flour (self-rising flour)
about 1/3 cup and 2 tsps of coconut oil (not liquid but put it in the fridge so it gets a little solid but not hard)
2 teaspoons of white granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
3/4 to 1 cup of evaporated milk
2 - 3 tablespoons of canola oil

My daughter is the biscuit expert.  She actually makes biscuits better than I do most of the time :-)

They may not be the prettiest biscuit but they sure are good.


Directions:
1. Blend the coconut oil, sugar, salt, and flour with a hand held pastry blender
2. Add the milk and mix
3. Flour a surface and kneed the dough about 3 to four times
4. Pour the canola oil on the surface of your pan
5. Pinch off about 2 to 3 tablespoons of dough (may be sticky but that's ok)
6. Roll dough around in the canola oil until l all sides are coated
7. Place coated dough on the pan and move on to the next piece to repeat the same process
8. Place biscuits kind of close to each other so sides don't burn.
9. Cook for about 10 minutes at 420 deg F in your oven
10. Enjoy

4 comments:

  1. Can I use all purpose flour? Or any other self rising flour? Is the coconut oil refined or unrefined?
    I can't wait to try these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Self Rising flour already has salt and baking powder added into it. If you use all purpose you will have to add in the baking powder and salt yourself and to be honest I am not sure how much you should add. You probably can use a different brand of self-rising flour. I am learning there are differences in flour. I think Hudson is better. You can buy it at Kroger but try it with whatever flour you like and see how it turns out. I use pure 100% unrefined coconut oil. You can buy it from Walmart. I get LouAna Pure Coconut Oil. Also, just as an aside this is what I use on our hair as a moisturizer it works great! Tell me how it turns out :-)

      Delete
    2. I have been learning to bake from scratch. I have made several batches of banana muffins. I have also made cinnamon rolls from scratch. I plan to add this recipe to my list of "recipes to try." I am also learning about the difference in flour bread flour, all purpose, cake flour and now self-rising. Who knew?! I'll let you know how they turn out.

      Delete
    3. Thanks. I hope they turn out well. I've been using bread flour as well. We just made some pizzas and normally I just use AP Flour to make the pizza crust but this time I used bread flour and it turned out a lot better. Hopefully I will get the recipe on here soon. I would like your cinnamon roll recipe. You want to write a post?

      Delete

I appreciate your comments. Please when commenting do not use my children's full names. Thanks!